Friday, September 2, 2011

Starting from scratch

I've made some progress in the last couple of days.  Since I had the basement down to skin n' bones, I figured a good strategy would be to give it an extra layer of protection against future flooding.  I bleached all the walls (c-ya black mold!) and laid down a couple of coats of waterproofer.  I used both Behr Masonry Waterproofer and Drylock.  I've seen some Internet posts that say you can't rely on these products to keep water out completely, but the added protection can't hurt.  I saturated the cracks where the water had seeped up the previous year and covered all the concrete patching I did.

Drylock'd

Today I also built my first framed wall.  Pretty simple to do, but a few tips came in handy.  First, my dad clued me in to the fact that the bottom 2x4 needs to be pressure treated lumber per code.  Makes sense, and if I ever get a flood again, that bottom wood should be just fine and not need to be replaced.  Second, I have to thank YouTube for all the handy videos that taught me simple things like which way your crown goes on the 2x4's, to how to insert and drive in a concrete anchor.

North wall frame

Only one blood blister from an errant hammer strike and a bloody scalp from a dangling piece of drop-ceiling.  Not too bad for my first frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment